Sunday, November 17, 2013

First Primary Program...Almost

Ever since Tori became a Sunbeam in January, we have been wondering how her first primary program would go. As we have been gearing up for the program, we helped Tori come up with her part, helped her practice said part and all the songs they would be singing in the program. And we even invited our neighbors Kent and Doris to come with us! Today started out great-we were even running enough ahead of schedule that we were able to take some "First Primary Program" pictures!
Tori looked so adorable in her purple dress!!!
And, of course, Garrett didn't want to be left out!
Love this one!!!
So silly!
And just like that we were off to church, with Doris along with us! Sadly, Kent hurt his leg this morning and wasn't able to join us. And then we were to that moment, that moment where it was time for Tori to go up on the stand for the Primary program. And she did not want to go. We tried to get her to go up with her friend Benson- nope. We tried getting her to go up with her teacher Sister Cameron (whom she adores)- nope. Then she agreed to go up with me. So the two of us walked up and got her all settled in her seat. As soon as she realized that I wouldn't be staying there with her, the tears started to flow. So, I scooped her up and we walked back down to our seat in the congregation. I so wish that I could say that Tori sang every single song with gusto and clearly gave her part, but I can't. Tori spent her first Primary program sitting with us. 
In reliving today, I am so disappointed in how I handled the situation. I realize that her part may have been 5 seconds and she probably wouldn't have sung anyways. But I felt like when she was confronted with something scary and hard, instead of helping her find the strength and courage within herself to overcome that, I sent the message that she didn't even need to try. So, after a few tears were shed this evening, Jared and I came up with a new game plan- one I wish we had thought of last night! Here's the basic gist- 1. When something big is coming up, we are going to make sure we talk about things very specifically so Tori (and Garrett) knows exactly what to expect the entire time. 2. We are going to plan ahead on who is going to help her along, if help is needed. 3. We are going to have about a million back-up plans!
So, even though today wasn't the Primary program experience we were hoping for, Jared and I learned a lot about being better parents. And although I wish we could get a do-over for the day, we are going to do much better when the next opportunity arises!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment