Saturday, April 25, 2009

Our BIG Decision

So as many of you know my wife and I arrived at a crossroads not too long ago. I initially wanted to become a genetic counselor right out of my undergrad but Heavenly Father had a different plan for me. He led me here to Indy and to my beautiful wife. I thank Him everyday for stepping in and interrupting my plan. Well while I was being interrupted I decided to get a masters degree in Genetics. Well now that is coming to a close and I decided it was time to continue on with my original plan. I applied to 4 different genetic counseling programs and it was during this time my wonderful Heavenly Father decided to interrupt again and throw another option in my way....another masters degree in secondary education. While I was here in Indy I have had many wonderful opportunities to teach...freshman biology lab, guest lecture for freshman biology, high school teacher..etc! I developed a love for teaching and so now I had a decision to make...counseling or teaching! I interviewed for the teaching position and was selected as one of the top 30 candidates for the program before I even had an interview for the counseling programs. I decided to accept this route in case my others failed as a back-up...but with full intentions in sticking to my guns and going with my original plan. I interviewed at Denver, Cincinnati, and Houston. All were fabulous places and my wife and I discussed the details about all three and felt we could go to any of them. It would be a challenge, especially with Tori on the way when school started, but being the wonderful supporting wife Rachel is...she would go anywhere to make me happy. Finally decision day came and rejection came from all three schools. We were both depressed but once it set in we were at peace. It all made sense and so once again Heavenly Father had to show me His plan for me and that it was the better one. We do not know what is in store for us here in Indy, but as long as He is on our side we will stay with open hearts and bloom where we are planted!!! So for all you Hoosiers....hope you have room to accept three more into the Hoosier Clan because we Allen's are here to stay for a bit longer!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Yea! I for one am very happy about that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that the dream did not work out. It would of been great to have you in Denver. Hey, I know your psin and peace of not having your dream work out, but having the Lord guide you. Good luck on getting ready for Tori and teaching masters.

    ReplyDelete