Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Few Thoughts

Jared has been doing such a fantastic job keeping our blog up to date since Garrett joined our family!  But, I wanted to add a few of my thoughts before I can't remember them.  The first thing I would like to note is that I think Heavenly Father has a great sense of humor.  For quite some time now, Jared and I have joked around about Garrett being born early (really on the 9th- since that is when Tori came in her pregnancy).  But since this pregnancy was going so much smoother, we really thought we would at least make it to 37 or 38 weeks before he joined us.  So when I woke up at 4:30 a.m. to my water breaking, my first thought was 'you've got to be kidding!'  But sure enough, my water was broken and we were on our way to the hospital. 
I think the thing that worried me the most through my entire pregnancy was what we were going to do with Tori if Garrett came before Grandma Allen was here to help us.  Saturday evening a dear friend through me a baby shower and while there another friend made sure that I knew Tori was welcome at their house any time and made it a point that she could come over while I was in labor.  I really don't think she expected a call at 5:30 the very next morning!  But, after we had dropped Tori off, I felt so much peace knowing she was with people who loved her and that she would be just fine.  Talk about lifting a huge burden off my shoulders! 
I have had  a few people ask me this time around why we were still going to deliver at Clarian West (officially now IU Health West Hospital - but that just doesn't have the same ring as Clarian West!).  There is a great hospital that is much closer to our house and would be tons more convenient.  After all that happened with Tori, we really didn't want to start over with new doctors.  And once we checked in, I remembered another reason why we love this hospital so much - the absolutely fabulous nurses!!!  My nurse Jenn was so attentive and made my labor experience such a positive one!  This is the sign that greeted us when we got into my room:
Through the course of our stay, we had several of our Special Care Nurses that came down to say hi and see how Tori was doing.  These ladies amaze me!  It has been two years since we were there and they recognized our names and remembered so much about Tori.  We even had a few comment on how much Garrett looked like Tori- they are awesome!!!
This time around, my labor seemed to progress very smoothly.  With Tori I had to have tons of pitocin to get my contractions going - not fun might I add.  This time my contractions started on their own and progressed on their own - so much better!  My epidural went well- yeah, I am not one of those all natural girls.  But right before Garrett was born, I started to panic a little.  Things seemed so different from Tori's and it scared me.  As it turned out, Jared and I had a few minutes alone as our nurse was rounding up my doctor and getting the last minute things ready before Garrett was born.  I told Jared I was scared and he started to get a little teary-eyed.  I asked him what he was thinking about and he said that this moment felt like when we were being married in the temple.  Then that same peace and comfort seemed to wrap around me like a blanket- heaven felt very near!  My fear vanished and I knew that Heavenly Father was very aware of us and that everything would be just fine!  It was such a sweet moment - one I am sure we will never forget!!!
Jared has been so wonderful over the past few days - okay, really over the past 8 months!  He has been so patient with me and my crazy pregnant self.  And now that Garrett is here, he helps out with everything! I am so blessed to have him as my husband and know our kids have the best Daddy ever!  Thank you from the bottom of my heart Jared - I love you so very much!!!
These are the beautiful, boy inspired, flowers that Jared brought me.  Aren't they perfect?
I must admit that I am a little overwhelmed at the thought of having two little people that depend on us. But, I am also really excited for this new chapter in our family and the many adventures that await us!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Rachel. You have been in our prayers this whole pregnancy and I know our prayers have been answered in your behalf! Thank you Jared for being so awesome to Rachel, Tori and Garrett! Oh, how I wish I was there! But I know this has been a good experience for your little family. I have been filled with peace when I think of you. I love you! Grandma Joan

    ReplyDelete