Saturday, July 14, 2012

On the Way Home

Our original plan for this morning was for me and the kids to head home while Jared joined the scouts at the temple for baptisms for the dead.  Then last night we decided there were a few more things in Nauvoo that we would like to do and there really was no rush for us to get home.  So, while Jared was in the temple, Tori, Garrett, and I walked around the temple grounds one last time.  Tori was once again in heaven! 
When the Saints left Nauvoo, they walked down Parley street in the freezing cold of winter and then crossed the Mississippi River.  This portion of Parley street is now called the Trail of Tears, and this time we found out it is also called the Trail of Hope.  Since it was really hot (over 100 degrees), and it was just me and the kids we drove Cam down the Trail of Hope as our last venture in Nauvoo!
Here are Tori and Garrett by a statue of Brigham Young and Joseph Smith looking west across the Mississippi River- this was at the Pioneer Memorial at the end of Parley Street!
 Next we went to check out the Mississippi River.  Tori loved throwing sticks in it!!!
 Garrett gave the Mississippi River a big thumbs up!
 Tori, Garrett, and the Mississippi River!!!
Tori soon discovered how much fun it was to wade in the river!
 Which quickly turned into sitting in the river!!!
 And then, of course, some splashing and dancing in the waves!!!
Jared was able to join us and so we all were able to get in the Mississippi!!!
 Jared only got in a little bit!
It was kind of neat that being in the Mississippi River was the last thing we did in Nauvoo- slightly like the pioneers!
Our very last stop before heading home was the Carthage Jail Visitor's Center.  I am so glad that we stopped at Carthage, it was the perfect end to our vacation!  I didn't take a single picture while there, it somehow seemed strange to take pictures where Joseph and Hyrum Smith were martyred.  There is definitely a somber feel there, especially in the jail itself.  As we were touring the jail, Tori was done with seeing things and being quiet.  As we were sitting in the very room where the attack happened, our Senior Missionary guide was bearing a sweet testimony of all that happened that day, and then Tori threw her flip-flop across the floor.  I was a little frustrated with her because I didn't want her messing up anyone's visit- we were with a pretty big group.  I don't know if the Senior Missionary sensed my frustration because as we were leaving he stopped me and thanked me for bringing our children with us.  I think I may have inwardly rolled my eyes thinking, "I'm sure you enjoyed having us here."  But then he followed up with, "they may not remember what they saw, but they will remember what they felt!"  I wholeheartedly thanked him, with tears streaming down my cheeks.  This was my tender mercy for the day- our trip, and all its craziness, was worth it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment